If a child in your classroom has a life threatening allergy to eggs, you should avoid these ingredients in the classroom:
- Albumin, albumen
- Egg (dried, powdered, shell, solids, white, yolk)
- Meringue (meringue powder)
Egg is sometimes found in:
- Baked goods
- Egg substitutes
Some Hidden Sources of Egg
- Eggs have been used to create the foam or milk topping on specialty coffee drinks and in some bar drinks.
- Some commercial brands of egg substitutes contain egg whites.
- Most commercially processed cooked pastas (including those used in prepared foods such as soup) contain egg or are processed on equipment shared with egg-containing pastas. Boxed, dry pastas are usually egg-free, but may be processed on equipment that is also used for egg-containing products.
- Egg wash is sometimes used on pretzels before they are dipped in salt.