-This website has a large listing of programs and internships for high school students. It is a must see if you are interested in doing science over the summer.
3. Science Program Handout: [Click Here] to download a listing of possible Summer Programs
Indpendent research involves contacting Professors/Post Docs/Graduate Students at Universities (ex. Stony Brook University) or private labs (ex. Cold Spring Harbor) for a chance to participate in their research:
This process will take hard work and dedication. To best your odds you will want to:
1. Start as early as possible - September/October
2. Show sincerity and enthusiasm in your email
3. Look at past Siemans/INTEL semifinalists and find out the labs they worked in. Obviously, these labs have taken high school students in the past. For example, I found this list of scientists at Stony Brook University by googling "long island siemans semifinalists".
4. not give up after ten emails...
5. get used to hearing no or being ignored
Remember, you only need one yes...
Here is a listing of local Universities/Private Labs: