pile of question marks
  • Frequently Asked Questions

    Q. How can students access the Counseling Center?  

    A. Students can make an appointment at any time using the following link:  Student Appointment  

    Students will receive a pass in homeroom the morning of the appointment.  Students should show their classroom teacher the pass prior to their appointment.


    Q. What should students do if they are absent from school?  

    A. Students should have a homework buddy in each class and the buddy's phone number.  They can call their buddies to find out what homework was assigned.  In addition, students can use Google Classroom to keep up on assignments while they are absent.   Upon returning to school, students should speak with each of their teachers to make sure they are up to date. 

    Q. What should students do if they are being bullied?  

    A. Students should immediately report any case of bullying to an adult in the building.  There are many people here to help, including teachers, counselors, deans and administrators.   

    Q. How many report cards are generated in a school year?  

    A. There are four report cards throughout the course of the school year.  Parents should check the parent portal on the district’s website to access these reports.  Parents can call the Counseling Center at 441-4520 if they need a paper copy of these reports.

    Q. How can an email be sent to a teacher?  

    A. Each member of the school faculty has an email address.  Just type the first letter of the teacher's first name, the teacher's last name followed by the suffix @greatneck.k12.ny.us.

    Q. How can parents set up a meeting with their child's teachers?  

    A. Please call Mrs. Murtagh in the Counseling Center at 441-4520 if you would like to schedule a team meeting.


    Q. Can I change one of my classes?

    A. As per district policy, middle school students may change course level (for example, Regents to Non-Regents) up until the end of the 2nd marking period. Students will not be permitted to change course levels after this deadline. Grades will not follow from one level course to another.



    Exceptions to the add/drop deadlines may be made for ungraded and support classes such as study skills unless these courses are required by State Law, Board of Education Policy, Individualize Education Plan, or 504 accommodation.
    In cases of compelling educational need, these practices may be overridden by the building principal in consultation with the teacher, department head, and school counselor.