• Picture of a question mark

    How do I make an appointment with my school counselor?

    School counselors have digital appointment books where students can sign up to meet with their school counselor. Instructions are located on your counselor's Google Classroom. Up to three students can sign up per period, as long as the counselor is available.

    Will my parents have an appointment with my school counselor?

    Yes. All parents receive a letter home inviting them into the guidance office for an appointment, starting with freshmen and their parents in mid-November. Each year parents will be invited in to discuss grade-specific topics.  Parents can also contact our office secretaries (516-441-4820) to schedule an appointment with their school counselor. 

    How do I join a school club?

    Students can join clubs anytime during the school year. All students are encouraged to participate in school activities. At the beginning of each school year, a club fair is held to help acquaint freshman students with the variety of activities available at Great Neck South High School. To see a full list of our clubs and their descriptions, click here. To see the schedule of where and when clubs are held and who the advisor is, click here.

    How do I join a volunteer experience or internship?

    Volunteer work and internships can provide an opportunity to help others, become more involved with the community, explore possible career areas, and build upon college resumes. Click here for a resource, created by students, of local community service opportunities. Click here to access the Great Neck South High School Career Internship Program website.

    How do I join an athletic team? Do I need a current physical?

    Most of our athletic teams do not have cuts. Click here for a complete list of sports and teams, organized by season. Students do need a physical to participate. The required forms can be found in the nurse's office. 

    How can I get extra help in a subject?

    Teachers typically provide extra help the day before the subject's scheduled test day, regardless of if a test will be given. Click here to see the extra help schedule. Students can also take advantage of additional extra help by talking to their teachers or attending the study center. There is also a free study aid in several subjects called Khan Academy

    What is the Study Center?

    The learning/study center is located in room 210 and provides support to students in all academic subjects. Students can take Study Center as a class in their schedule, or they can stop in during the day during any of their free periods. The study center is also opened before and after school. Click here to learn more about the study center and to view their schedule.

    What should I do if I am absent?

    Students should have their parent or guardian call attendance to make their absence legal. The attendance number is (516)441-4816. It is advisable to consult a friend in the student's classes or teachers' websites to stay current on missed work.

    What should I do if I know in advance that I will be out of school for multiple days?

    Students should speak with their teachers before their absences and collect any work they will be missing. Teachers will hold students responsible for any missed work or tests. 

    What do I do if I get a cut slip?

    Students have 3 days to get a cut cleared. If there is a legitimate reason the student was not in class, the student can get the cut slip signed by the teacher whose class was missed. 

    When do report cards and progress reports get posted?

    Students receive four progress reports and four report cards throughout the year.  Students and parents can log into their student or parent portal to check progress reports and report cards. Click here for specific dates.

    How do I get into advanced placement or honors courses?

    Students need to be recommended for advanced placement and honors classes. Honors and advanced placement for ninth graders are based on recommendations from eighth-grade teachers based on the criteria from South High. If you would like to take an advanced course next year, you should discuss it with your current teacher in that subject area. 

    What is GPA?

    GPA stands for grade point average. It is based on your final grades in all subject areas. Your GPA is recalculated at the end of each school year.

    Does Great Neck South High School rank students?

    As per school board policy, our high school does not rank students. 

    What should I do if I am having a problem with a student/teacher?

    Your school counselor, as well as our school social worker and psychologists, can help you work through your conflicts. Sometimes just talking about your problems openly can help you see things clearer and can illuminate available options.

    What should I do if I am being bullied?

    It is the mission of the Great Neck South High School staff to ensure the safety and well-being of our students. If you are being bullied, we encourage you to seek assistance from a counselor, dean, administrator, teacher, and your parents. We are here to help.

    How do I get working papers?

    Working papers can be picked up in the nurse's office. Their phone number is (516)441-4810.

    What is the PSAT?

    The PSAT (Preliminary SAT) is a practice test offered by College Board as a preparation tool for the SATs. All juniors are recommended to take the exam, and some sophomores choose to take it for additional practice. The PSAT exam encompasses Algebra and Geometry. Sophomores who have not taken Algebra and Geometry may find the exam frustrating and thus counterproductive.