Great Neck Public Schools
Mental Health & Community Resources
During times of intensive stress, it's important to know how to seek assistance, guidance, or just a helping hand. Our mental health professionals in each school building are currently providing families with support and guidance via online and teleconferencing platforms. The district has also partnered with Northwell Health to provide additional services for our school community. Families are encouraged to take advantage of the following services, as needed.
Partnership with Northwell Health
The Great Neck Public Schools has entered into a partnership with Northwell Health to provide support and training for school staff, resources for families, and emergency mental health services for students.
Behavioral Health Center
A key component of the district's partnership with Northwell Health is the Behavioral Health Center, located at 156 First Street (lower level) in Mineola. It is a place to access urgent mental health support for school-aged children and adolescents who may not necessarily require the services of an emergency room. Northwell professionals will meet with students in need of immediate evaluation and make connections for appropriate care.
The Behavioral Health Center is open Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday from 8am-8pm and Tuesday 9:30am-5:30pm for the exclusive use of students from partnering school districts. Additional information is available here:
- Behavioral Health Center Information (English)
- Información de Centro De Salud Conductual Mineola (Spanish)
School Mental Health Community Newsletter
The Northwell Health School Mental Health Community Newsletter includes information about various mental health topics, links to previously recorded parent webinars, and links to sign up for upcoming workshops.
- May 2023 Mental Health Newsletter
- April 2023 Mental Health Newsletter
- March 2023 Mental Health Newsletter
- February 2023 Mental Health Newsletter
- January 2023 Mental Health Newsletter
- December 2022 Mental Health Newsletter
- November 2022 Mental Health Newsletter
- October 2022 Mental Health Newsletter
- August/September 2022 Mental Health Newsletter
- June 2022 School Mental Health Newsletter
- May 2022 School Mental Health Newsletter
- April 2022 School Mental Health Newsletter
- March 2022 School Mental Health Newsletter
- February 2022 School Mental Health Newsletter
- January 2022 School Mental Health Newsletter
- December 2021 School Mental Health Newsletter
- November 2021 School Mental Health Newsletter
- October 2021 School Mental Health Newsletter
Virtual Parent Workshops
Free virtual Parent Workshops are offered through the Community Education Series for Parents.
- May 2023 - Ready for Anything Raising Confident, Competent Kids
- April 2023 - Competition, Academic Stress, and Burnout
- March 2023 - Promoting Positive Sibling Relationships
- February 2023 - Nurturing Social Connections
- January 2023 - Healthy Sleeping Habits
- School Avoidance Workshop Series for Parents - December 6, 2022 through January 10, 2023
- December 2022 - Lunch and Learn: Stress and Coping Skills
- November 2022 - Supporting Your Child's Healthy Eating Habits
- October 2022 - Supporting your Child's Healthy Screen Habits
- Northwell Health YouTube Channel – View Recordings of Past Workshops
2020-21 GNPS Mental Health & Wellness Resource Guide
GNPS school psychologists and social workers have developed extensive documents to further assist our families during the pandemic. This guide is an easy reference for help with various topics related to these challenging times. The guide is organized into important topics with helpful information, resources, and links.
A PDF of the 2020-2021 GNPS Mental Health and Wellness Guide is available for viewing below or can be downloaded here. A text-only version of the document is compatible with the Translate feature found in the top menu bar of our website and formatted to be accessible for the visually impaired.