Reopening Plan Presentation (text format)
Below is the text from the Reopening Plan Update for Secondary Schools that was emailed to middle and high school parents/guardians as a PDF in May 2021.
This web page may be viewed in multiple languages using the translation feature on the district website. This format is also accessible for screen readers for the visually impaired.
GNPS Reopening Plan Update for Secondary Schools
Return to Daily In-Person Instruction for Secondary Students
On May 5, 2021, the Great Neck Public Schools announced plans to return more secondary students to the classroom for daily, in-person instruction. This new instructional option is supported by updated guidance from the New York State Department of Health (DOH) that reduces physical distancing requirements in the classroom, coupled with declining COVID positivity rates within the school community. This decision was also influenced by stakeholder input through a survey of middle and high school parents/guardians to determine preferences for instruction through the remainder of the 2020-21 school year.
The following addendum to the District's Reopening Plan outlines measures to support the safe return of secondary students to daily classroom instruction. The original 2020-21 Reopening Plan, established in July 2020, can also be viewed on the District website.
Health & Safety
- Daily temperature checks are still required for all students and staff.
- Face masks must be worn by all individuals in every classroom and non-classroom setting.
- There will be increased indoor/outdoor air exchange through open windows.
- The use of outdoor spaces will be encouraged.
- Any changes to three feet of physical distancing will still require contact tracing to six feet, per Department of Health standards.
- The District will continue to work cooperatively with the Nassau County Department of Health to determine if an employee or student had close contact (within six feet) for 15 minutes or more without a mask.
Secondary Building Practices
- Classroom desks will be arranged with a minimum of three feet of distancing and with students facing in a common direction.
- Six feet of distancing will remain between teacher workstations and student seating.
- Music performance classrooms will be arranged to maintain six feet of distancing between musicians.
- Students will continue to follow directional designations in hallways and stairways.
- Masks may be removed during meals.
- Individuals must maintain six feet of physical distancing while eating.
- Additional dining spaces will be opened if needed; outdoor dining is encouraged.
- After-school extra help and extra-curricular clubs will continue to meet virtually.
- Interscholastic athletics will continue to operate under guidelines from NYSPHSAA Section VIII and the Department of Health.
- Students are required to wear masks while boarding, riding, and exiting the bus.
- Members of the same household are encouraged to sit together.
- Seating will be limited to two students per bench.
- Bus windows will be open to increase fresh air and improve ventilation.
- Parental drop-off and safe pedestrian choices are encouraged.
- Year-end gatherings will be permitted and conducted as per Department of Health guidelines.
For more information, contact your child's middle school or high school principal.