Office of Transportation
Student Responsibilities For School Bus Safety
On the way to, and waiting for, the bus:
- Being on time, but getting to the stop no more than 10 minutes before the scheduled arrival of the bus.
- Observing the following safety precautions:
- Not playing in the road.
- Looking both ways when crossing a street and crossing at a light-controlled or guarded intersection where possible. Not pushing, pulling or chasing other pupils at the bus stop.
- Not bringing large, bulky items on the bus, i.e., musical instruments, animal cages, big displays.
- Not allowing younger, pre-school children or pets to accompany them to the bus stop.
- Not trespassing on or damaging private property.
- As the bus approaches, allowing at least six feet of clearance from the designated bus stop. Not approaching the bus until it has stopped and the driver has opened the door. Not pushing others in line.
When boarding the bus:
- Have bus pass ready to show the driver.
- Board in an orderly manner and get seated quickly.
- Buckle seat belt.
- Follow the instructions of the bus driver.
When riding the bus:
- Share a seat with one or two others.
- Use seat belt.
- Don't sit on the seat backs.
- Don't smoke, drink alcoholic beverages, or carry weapons, which are prohibited by law.
- Don't extend any part of the body out the window.
- Don't throw objects inside the bus or out windows.
- Don't change seats while the bus is moving.
- Don't eat.
- Don't transport animals.
- Don't litter.
- Avoid shouting and excessive noise that might distract the driver.
- Avoid unnecessary conversation with the driver while the bus is in motion.
- Don't stand or sit in the door well or in the area adjacent to the driver.
- Be considerate and courteous to fellow riders.
- Understand that the bus driver is in authority and students are responsible to him/her.
When departing from the bus:
- Gather belongings before the stop approaches.
- Don't leave seats until the bus has come to a complete stop.
- Release the seat belt and pull the two ends straight across the cushion.
- Leave the bus promptly and in an orderly fashion, without pushing.
- Walk 10 feet ahead of the bus at curbside and wait for the driver's signal to go, before crossing the street.
- Never cross behind the bus.
- Do not run.
- Carefully look left and right for cars that may be passing the bus illegally.