Office of Security
Visitor Management Procedures
The Great Neck Public Schools implements a security vestibule and the LobbyGuard Visitor Management System in district buildings to process visitors to our schools. Visitors enter the vestibule to register their visit with the security guard and are processed through LobbyGuard before entering a building. We will collect the visitor's name, date of birth, and destination, take the visitor's photo, and scan the visitor's driver's license as photo identification, which triggers a background check against publicly available databases. The system prints a badge once the background check is complete and the visitor will then be buzzed into the building and display the badge during the visit. Visitors must log out of LobbyGuard by scanning the barcode on the badge and handing it to the security guard before leaving the building. Since all staff and high school students prominently display district-issued ID cards, visitors without a badge will stand out and be questioned by building staff and referred to the security guard or school principal.
Visitors are defined as individuals who are not GNPS students or staff members. The building principal or his/her designee is responsible for all visitors in the building and on school grounds. This is a shared responsibility with all staff, who are expected to confirm that visitors are in the building for a legitimate purpose.
In order to foster a secure environment for students and staff, the following rules apply to school visitors:
- The security guard will maintain a list of visitors with appointments prior to the day the visitor is expected.
- Visitors will not be allowed to enter a building with students during arrival except for urgent business.
- All visitors should present picture identification to confirm identity. If a visitor arrives without proper identification, the building administrator or his/her designee will be contacted to determine admittance on a case-by-case basis.
- As per Board of Education Policy #5300.65 Code of Conduct: Vistors To The Schools, "Visitors attending school functions that are open to the public before, during or after regular school hours, such as parent-teacher organization meetings or public gatherings, are not required to register."
- Failure to follow these procedures may result in a lockdown.