What is ENL?
- ENL is an acronym standing for English as a New Language.
- ENL classes are NOT bilingual in nature.
- A certified ENL teacher does NOT need to speak any of the many native languages that his/her students may speak.
- ENL instruction occurs IN ENGLISH using sheltered techniques, numerous hands-on activities, many pictures, body movements and gestures, and realia to teach English vocabulary.
- English vocabulary can be taught through thematic units which are content based.
- Instruction can occur in the mainstream classroom, or in the ENL classroom on a pull-out basis.