WELCOME TO THE SOUTH MIDDLE SOCIAL STUDIES DEPARTMENT
The philosophy of the Social Studies Department mirrors that of the National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS), which describes the primary purpose of social studies as "helping young people develop the ability to make informed and reasoned decisions for the public good as citizens of a culturally diverse, democratic society in an interdependent world." It is important to us that our students recognize that social studies is not synonymous with history. While we do spend time discussing dates, people and places from the past, we also help them to understand the present, and prepare them for the future. As a department we attempt to:
- Instill in our students an appreciation of knowledge in itself and as a way to becoming informed and active citizens in a democratic society.
- Aid students in examining history’s effect on people and how people have influenced history so that they gain an understanding of how the past has helped shape the world of today.
- Create in students an awareness and appreciation of cultural diversity and interdependence on local, national and global levels.
- Develop in students an understanding of the philosophical basis and nature of the political and socio-economic systems which exist in today’s world.
- Focus our students attention on how today’s events can be related to historical occurrences.
- Provide a learning environment which encourages students to think analytically and critically.
- Expose students to diverse teaching methods and styles as well as to a variety of learning experiences.
- Develop in students the ability to communicate clearly and comprehensively in speech and writing.