Great Neck South High School
Technology Checklist for Graduating Seniors
The purpose of this document is to inform seniors of the iPad Collection process as well as provide graduating students with information on how to ensure the backup and transfer of digital content from GNPS devices and systems to personal devices and systems.
iPad Collection Information:
Our 2023 Senior iPad Collection will begin Monday, June 5th. We will be collecting iPads, charging bricks, charging cables and iPad cases. Damaged or missing equipment will be assessed at the time of return and any charges must be paid. Damages to the iPad will be assessed on an individual basis. iPads not turned in will be placed on the obligation list and payment will need to be collected. Please send the same cable and bricks back. The brick and cable should each have the Great Neck South HS Library barcode sticker on it.
Cost of iPad repairs:
- Cracked/Broken iPad Screen $40
FAILURE TO RETURN THE IPAD WILL RESULT IN A CHARGE FOR THE FULL REPLACEMENT COST OF THE DEVICE
iPad Return Checklist:
- iPad should be FULLY charged upon return
- iPad should be updated to the latest iOS (16.4)
- iPad should be signed out iCloud account
- iPad should have the passcode cleared
- iPad should be set to English for the language
Information on Backing up Student iPad, Google Drive, and GNPS Home Directory:
Students have had access to many technology systems at South High School. Seniors will lose access to all GNPS systems on July 30, 2023. In order to ensure that content is transferred and backed up, please follow the instructions below for each system. Please feel free to contact a staff member for assistance.
Backing up Student iPad:
Students can backup Notability files, photos, and videos to Google Drive. Once all items are uploaded to Google, they can follow the directions below for backing up Google Applications (G Suite for Education) using Google Takeout.
Backing up Google Applications (G Suite for Education) using Google Takeout:
- Google Takeout is Google’s tool to move your data (including Mail, Calendar, Drive, Photos, Youtube, and more) from one account to another.
- Please note: do not download your archives to public computers or upload them where others can see them. The best practice is to follow these steps on a personal or home computer.
- Graduating Seniors have until July 30, 2023, to archive GNPS Google Apps Data. After that date, your account will be inactivated and you will not be able to access it.
- Google Takeout will be available beginning after June 1, 2023.
Google Takeout Directions for Seniors:
- Go to Google Takeout
- Log into your GNPS G Suite account.
- Once logged in check that your GNPS e-mail address is listed in the upper right corner of the window and that you are properly logged into your GNPS Google Account.
- Select the Google Products you wish to backup – at the minimum, you should backup Drive.
- Click Next
- Set File Type to .zip and set Delivery Method to Send download link via e-mail
- Click Create Archive
- The archive process will begin. You can stay on this screen until the archive is complete and then download the resulting file, or you can move on to other work and wait for the e-mail that will arrive indicating the archive is ready.
- Download the archive file (.zip)
- You can unzip this file onto your computer or upload it to your personal Google account.
Your GNPS Google Account and your GNPS Google E-Mail account you have been using are for GNPS students only, so your access to them will officially end upon graduation. As a courtesy, the District gives you a one-month grace period to complete the backup process, but you should assume that these accounts will no longer exist after July 30, 2023.
Congratulations to the class of 2023, and best of luck in college and in all of your future endeavors!