• Who do I call or contact with a question, concern, or issue?

    Understanding the appropriate "lines of communication" is the most important factor in a successful home-school relationship.  


    Who do I go to first with my concerns?

    Our most effective tool in providing students with an optimal learning environment is the establishment of open, respectful, and ongoing communication between parent and teacher. Should any concerns or questions arise regarding academic or behavioral needs and/or practices within the classroom, please contact your child's teacher first. We strongly encourage face-to-face communication. E-mail is not an effective mode of communication when it comes to pressing or stressful situations that may arise. The earlier parents establish an open dialog with their child's teacher, regardless of topic, the smoother the school will be for both the child and parent. 

    Each member of the school faculty has an email address. Simply type the first letter of the staff member's first name, then their last name followed by the suffix @greatneck.k12.ny.us.

    Who do I contact if the matter is still not resolved?

    There are additional professionals you may contact following your discussion (or meeting) with your child's teacher.

    • If your concern is regarding student behavior and/or discipline, please contact the assistant principal (Dr. Heather Sweet-Lazos).
    • If your concern is a potential bullying (or cyberbullying) incident, please contact Baker's Dignity for All Students Act (DASA) Coordinator (Deanna Bausch). The DASA Coordinator is responsible for investigating and addressing issues of harassment, or any situation that threatens the emotional or physical health or safety of any student, school employee, or any person who is lawfully on school property or at a school function.
    • If your concern is health related, please contact the school nurse (Kathy Knigin).
    • If your concern is connected to the social and/or emotional welfare of your child, please contact our school psychologists, (Ms. Cindy Lipper, Dr. Maria Hanakis), school social worker and/or school counselor, (Aimee Kaplan and/or Kaitlin Frangella).
    • All special education related questions should be directed to the school psychologist (Ms. Cindy Lipper/Dr. Maria Hanakis) or the Office of Pupil Personnel Services (PPS). 

    Please understand that Dr. Grimaldi, Baker's Principal, will always take/return phone calls from parents, will listen to your concerns, and offer guidance. However, we do ask you that the lines of communication outlined above are adhered to prior. If not, you will be referred to the appropriate staff member before any form of school building leadership intervention/assistance takes place.