GETTING YOUR LEARNER'S PERMIT AT NORTH HIGH:
Steps to Follow:
- YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT WITH THE DMV TO FORMALLY APPLY FOR YOUR PERMIT EVEN IF YOU PLAN TO TAKE THE TEST IN SCHOOL. We have spoken with the DMV about the lack of availability of permit appointments and they advised us that the calendar updates regularly throughout the day, so we recommend that you begin to look for appointments now and to check back on the website frequently. You will make an appointment by choosing option 2 - “Take a Car or Motorcycle Permit Test” in the drop down menu. The link to make an appointment is :
- Even if you do not have an appointment with the DMV, you may sign up to take the permit test at North High using the Learner’s Permit Calendar. *** The calendar is only accessible to students using their school email. Please have your child sign up for an appointment.
Link to calendar appointment page:
(copy and paste the link into safari or chrome to access appointment slots; do not open in Google Calendar app)
- Before taking your test, you may come to the main office to receive a review booklet, and/or complete practice quizzes online at dmv.ny.gov
- At the time of your appointment, report to the main office and see either Mrs. Behar or Mr. Calderaro.
- You will enter your own information into our computer (whatever is on your birth certificate or passport, so be sure to know your middle name, address, etc.).
- You will complete the 20 question multiple choice test on our computer.
- Once you pass, you'll receive a receipt to take to the DMV office at the time of your appointment. A parent or guardian must accompany you to the DMV. You must bring the receipt, your birth certificate or passport, AND your Social Security card. You will also need proof of your address - a utility bill or phone bill in your parent’s name is acceptable.
A few items to keep in mind:
- A limited number of application packets for the DMV are available in the office.
- It usually takes 2 weeks to receive your learner's permit in the mail, so please allow enough time before starting driver's education.
- Contact the Adult Education Center at Cumberland at 441-4949 for information about driver's education.